Recipe type: Salad
1 small/medium butternut squash, diced
1 large leaf of kale, stem removed
½ cup cranberries
¼ cup walnuts, toasted
¼ cup crumbled goat cheese
1 cup quinoa
2 cup chicken stock
salt and pepper
1. Prepare quinoa according to package direction. Use chicken stock instead of water to add flavor. Cool completely.
2. White quinoa is cooking, add a few drizzles of olive oil to a saute pan and place over medium heat. Add diced butternut squash and saute until tender, about 10-12 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool.
3. In the same saute pan add a little more olive oil and the kale. Wilt slightly, 1-2 minutes; you want the kale to still be slightly crunchy. Remove from pan and roughly chop. Set aside to also cool.
4. Again, in the same pan add walnuts, no olive oil is necessary. Toast for a few minutes on low heat - careful not to burn! Remove from pan and let cool.
5. Add all of the cooled ingredients along with the cranberries, goat cheese, a little salt and a little pepper, and gently mix.
Total Calories (kcal): 260
Total Fat: 9.3 g
Total Carbohydrate: 39.1
Total Protein: 9 g
Calcium: 104.4 mg
Potassium: 671 mg
Leave a Reply.